What is firmware?
Firmware is software that determines how a specific piece of hardware will work. In this case, we are talking about firmware which operates our Wireless Timing Gates, and separate firmware that operates the Wireless Starting Devices
Why would I want to update firmware?
We may create new firmware that causes our hardware to work in a more efficient manner, or have new features. In order to have your hardware working at their highest potential it is required that you update the firmware that exists on your particular hardware items.
What items do I need to do a firmware update?
Firmware updates requires you to have the following items:
1. Service Lite Application - found in Firmware (click on hyperlink)
2. Firmware version for update - found in Firmware (click on hyperlink)
3. Windows computer with the above items available
4. Your hardware (wireless timing gates and/or wireless starting devices)
5. Your wireless USB dongle and USB cable
The firmware update involves a wireless communication between your laptop and the hardware devices. The Service Lite application talks to each of the devices and then erases the existing firmware and loads on the new firmware.
Its important that you are not doing anything else on your computer while doing this update. Your computer needs to be fully focused on the Service Lite software program, and you must not click out of the application otherwise there is a chance that some errors will occur. For best results please shut down all non core applications and don't go and check emails etc while your updating.
Each hardware device will take up to two minutes to have its new version of firmware loaded, so depending on how many devices you're updating make sure that you have enough time to do this. The updating itself won't require you to do anything, except to set it up and let it begin - it will do the rest for you.
How to perform the firmware update
1. Open the Service Lite application. If you do not have this installed, download, decompress and have available on your computer. it can be found in Latest Software to Download (click on hyperlink)
2. Plug in your USB wireless dongle to your computer. Press the Connect button (indicated below) to find your USB wireless dongle
3. A Port Setup dialogue box will appear. Choose your wireless Dongle from the drop down list of available comm ports. If unsure which one to choose, you may need to select one and then see if it is the correct one. If it is not, try the others available in the list.
4. The circle indicated below should go green when when you select a Comm port.
5. Press Done once you've selected the Comm port.
6. Press the Global Messages button in the top right corner of the application screen, then press Unit Scan
7. The USB unit will appear on the screen...if it does not then you will need to send your timing hub to us for its initial update. Please post with a return addressed padded bag to:
P.O. Box 151 Fitzroy BC, Fitzroy, Vic 3065
8. Press the Program Button in the bottom left corner, and navigate to where you downloaded the new firmware, then press open
9. The unit will start updating
9. When its finished you may need to press Global Messages again to get the view to refresh with the new firmware version in the screen
If you are having any troubles along the way please contact us with details at email@example.com